In this episode...
Dan Harris from China Law Blog recently wrote: "Mexico is the New China" and Manufacturers are Moving There.
Having read it, Sofeast's CEO Renaud Anjoran and Adrian from the team discuss nearshoring, how credible an alternative to China Mexico is as a location for your manufacturing and some of Mexico's pros & cons. Renaud also gives some guidance on how importers need to assess their supply chains to decide if and where moving some of their manufacturing is beneficial.
00:00 - Introduction.
00:59 - Is Mexico really a credible alternative to China?
03:28 - What is happening in China (and SE Asia) that is driving US companies out to other countries like Mexico?
08:00 - Why Mexico is an obvious choice for some US importers suffering from supply chain risks in Asia.
09:13 - Is moving to Mexico something that would be more suitable for SMEs rather than MNCs?
14:14 - Could nearshoring to somewhere like Mexico be more expensive than having a supply chain in Asia?
18:39 - What benefits does Mexico have?
21:04 - Are many companies truly moving 100% of their manufacturing to Mexico, or is it more of a supplemental location?
25:19 - What are Mexico's drawbacks?
29:47 - Renaud's tips on managing the process of moving some/all manufacturing out of China.
36:14 - Wrapping up
- China Law blog's post: "Mexico is the New China" and Manufacturers are Moving There
- Another post from China Law Blog: Using Shelter Companies to Move Manufacturing from China to Mexico
- Renaud wrote about Why Your Product's Final Assembly Should Be Close To Its Key Components on QualityInspection.org.
- Read about How To Diversify Manufacturing Sources Out of China and Cut Risk.
- Listen back to our earlier episode Manufacture in China, Vietnam, India, or Elsewhere in 2021?
- Listen back to our earlier episode A New ‘Cold War’ Between The USA & China’s Effect On Manufacturing.
Get in touch with us
- Connect with us on LinkedIn
- Send us a tweet @sofeast
- Prefer Facebook? Check us out on FB
- Contact us via Sofeast's contact page
- Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Subscribe to the podcast
There are more episodes to come, so remember to subscribe! You can do so in your favorite podcast apps here and don't forget to give us a 5-star rating, please: