In this episode...
Renaud and friend of the show, compliance expert Clive Greenwood, are talking about why today's manufacturers should assess the environmental impact of their productions in China, because of the impending EU Ecodesign for Sustainable Products Regulation (ESPR) that will demand that products become more sustainable and that you open up your supply chains for scrutiny. They also talk about what Chinese manufacturers think about this and provide some advice on how to get started on becoming compliant.
If you sell into the EU now, don't skip this! And if you sell into other developed markets, such as Canada, the USA, the UK, etc, it still applies to you as similar legislation is coming.
00:00 - Greetings and introducing the topic and our guest, Clive.
03:20 - The sustainability trend is embodied by the Ecodesign for Sustainable Products Regulation for putting products on the EU market. What is it?
07:37 - Does product design for sustainability play a role?
09:00 - Are any product categories in the crosshairs of the EU first?
18:00 - What are Chinese manufacturers doing about this sustainability requirement? Do they even know or care about it?
19:35 - Lithium-ion batteries: A growing environmental issue.
28:02 - Are other governments taking notice of this?
30:19 - How do companies usually assess the environmental impact of their products, including extraction and manufacturing?
33:12 - What a mobile phone lifecycle may include, and how ecodesign might affect how it's designed and developed.
39:45 - How will 'Fast Fashion' be affected?
42:30 - What can businesses do to become compliant?
50:51 - Your new commercial decision will not only be about a supplier's costs but also if they're able to assist you to comply with the new Ecodesign regulation.
53:04 - What the product passport includes.
55:18 - Advice for you if you're selling into the EU now.
59:03 - Wrapping up.
- What is the EU Ecodesign for Sustainable Products Regulation?
- The EU Ecodesign Regulation Is Coming, But Are You Prepared? [Podcast part1]
- How To Comply With The EU Ecodesign Regulation? [Podcast part 2]
- If this episode has scared you and you feel you need help to take control and protect your business from being blocked from selling your products into the EU, Sofeast can help you. Take a look at this solution that we offer and speak to us about your project: EU Ecodesign Regulation Risk Assessment & Preparation
Get in touch with us
- Connect with us on LinkedIn
- Send us a tweet @sofeast
- Prefer Facebook? Check us out on FB
- Contact us via Sofeast's contact page
- Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Subscribe to the podcast
There are more episodes to come, so remember to subscribe! You can do so in your favorite podcast apps here and don't forget to give us a 5-star rating, please: