In this episode...
Sofeast's CEO Renaud Anjoran is joined by Adrian from the team to discuss the dangers you face if buying parts for your product's mass production from Taobao.
Taobao is a convenient Chinese online marketplace where you can purchase almost anything, usually at a decent price. If you can jump onto the site and find a vendor and quickly place an order, where's the harm in that?
This bypasses a secure sourcing process and impacts your product's quality, safety, and compliance negatively...here's why.
00:00 - Greetings + why not to take checked baggage on flights within Europe + the UK's 2-day heatwave 😂
01:59 - Today's topic: Why not to buy parts from Taobao to use in mass production?
02:40 - What is Taobao?
10:36 - Scams and other issues on Taobao.
11:32 - Why buying parts from Taobao for use in early proof-of-concept prototypes is fine.
13:00 - More advanced prototypes and mass production are not the same as proof-of-concept.
15:55 - 5 reasons why using Taobao parts for mass production is not a good idea.
- Batches may vary each time.
- The item on your BOM might suddenly be delisted.
- You buy subject to Taobao's terms and conditions.
- The vendor probably has little liability for performance or quality issues.
- They might not be a real company.
27:06 - Could your IP be at risk when dealing with Taobao vendors, and will you get the best price?
28:29 - You can't really pay and get an invoice (fapiao) that is needed for business purchases.
30:58 - The lack of transparency and control.
32:06 - Wrap-up.
- If you really want to check out Taobao, visit their site here (just don't buy production parts!)
- Get help from Sofeast to source great suppliers and benefit from more stability and better prices.
- Read our 80+ page eBook: Ultimate Guide To Sourcing From China And Developing Your Suppliers
- Learn how to source your own suppliers in China by listening to our DIY Sourcing from China Series
- Does your China factory sell your products on Taobao.com?
- How to complain about counterfeit/fakes on Taobao
Get in touch with us
- Connect with us on LinkedIn
- Send us a tweet @sofeast
- Prefer Facebook? Check us out on FB
- Contact us via Sofeast's contact page
- Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Subscribe to the podcast
There are more episodes to come, so remember to subscribe! You can do so in your favorite podcast apps here and don't forget to give us a 5-star rating, please: